Celebrate Purim 2019 at Beth Am
Get your costumes and groggers ready for Purim, the holiday of joy and laughter! As we read in the Book of Esther, "Mordechai sent dispatches to all the Jews... to observe the fourteenth and fifteenth days of Adar every year... as days of feasting and merrymaking, and as an occasion for sending gifts (mishloach manot) to one another and presents to the poor" (Esther 9:20-22). We'll have opportunities for people of all ages to hear the Megillah and celebrate the triumph of Esther and Mordechai over the wicked Haman.
- Purim Mitzvah Project: Place Your Order by Thursday, March 7
Mishloach manot are small gifts of food and treats that Jews traditionally send to one another for the holiday of Purim. Honor friends, clergy, your child’s teacher and classmates or anyone else at Beth Am who makes a difference in your life.
- Wednesday, March 6, 7:30 PM, Conference Room: Rosh Chodesh Adar II -- Les Megillot: A Purim Sing-a-Long
We will sing along to a Purim adaptation of Les Miserables, laugh, discuss, nosh and celebrate. If you love Les Mis, you won’t want to miss this! All women are welcome. RSVP required.
- Sunday, March 17, 3:30 to 5:00 PM, LOCATION CHANGE -- BETH AM BEIT KEHILLAH: Jewish Baby Network: Purim Palooza Costume Party (Families with Children Ages 0-2)
Come enjoy costumes, an interactive Purim story, songs, crafts, Purim snacks, playtime and goody bags. Costumes strongly encouraged for both parents and kids; don't forget your camera! Co-sponsored by Congregation Beth Am.
- Wednesday, March 20, 6:30 PM, Social Hall: Purim for Adults (21 and over)
Join the Beth Am community for our annual adult Purim extravaganza! Enjoy a Megillah reading, musical shpiel, refreshments and laughter. Costumes strongly encouraged! Suggested donation*: $20 per person. **$1 discount off admission to Adult Purim for every bra you bring to donate to Be A Dear and Donate a Brassiere.
- Saturday, March 23, 9:15 AM, Chapel: Purim-Themed Tot Shabbat (Families with Children Ages 0-5)
Join Rabbi Heath Watenmaker for a Purim-themed Shabbat service for families with children ages 0-5 years. Be sure to come in costume for our costume parade! Following the service, enjoy grape juice, challah and hamentaschen, as well as arts and crafts. Come have fun with your child and meet other parents of young children! RSVP online.
- Sunday, March 24, 10:50 AM, Beth Am Campus: Purim for Families
All are welcome to enjoy songs, a Megillah reading and a family-friendly shpiel, followed by our Purim carnival, run by Beth Am's wonderful teens. Costumes strongly encouraged for adults and kids! Suggested donation*: $10 per adult; $5 per kid or $20 per family. Please plan to pay at the door (cash or checks welcome). **$1 discount off admission to Family Purim for every school supply you bring to donate to Haven Family House.
**Purim Tzedakah Drive: One of the mitzvot of Purim is giving matanot la’evyonim (gifts to the poor). This year, Beth Am has TWO Purim tzedakah recipients (collection bins are located for both in the Sanctuary Foyer and Main Office):
- We are collecting new or gently used bras (in good shape only) to give to Be A Dear and Donate a Brassiere, a nonprofit organization started in 2009 which has donated over 10,000 bras to local Bay Area homeless shelters. Bra donations should have all hooks working, no stains or pulled elastic. Diverse sizes needed.
- We are collecting school supplies to donate to Haven Family House, a Menlo Park location of LifeMoves. This project is coordinated through BAJY (Beth Am Junior Youth), who has organized the collection. Here is a suggested items listing.