Pledge to Vote in 2018!
Beth Am is joining other Reform congregations in the United States in an effort to register 100% of their congregants in 2018 with the goal of making certain EVERYONE VOTES! This is part of the the exciting non-partisan campaign spearheaded by our movement's Religious Action Center (RAC) to promote civic engagement throughout the Reform Jewish Community. As the RAC stated: “As we work together to fulfill the sacred mandate of tikkun olam, “repair of the world”, our non-partisan civic engagement in service of our enduring values is an essential way that we stay active in our communities.”
To carry out this energetic goal of registering those Beth Am members not registered and encouraging ALL to VOTE, Beth Am Women and Pursue Justice, VOTE! are joining forces. Pursue Justice, VOTE (PJ, VOTE!) has been the tzedek-focused, civic engagement committee that has worked on voter registration and democracy issue forums at Beth Am for 14 years. Both groups are delighted to be unified around the issue of preserving our democracy -- voting is vital!
The RAC encourages Beth Am members to sign pledge cards, pledging to vote in the upcoming mid-term election, and encourages us to remind our friends and relatives to vote, as well. After they are signed and submitted, the pledge cards will stay at Beth Am; they'll be mailed back to you before Election Day.
Beth Am members will have the opportunity to register to vote before and after Rosh Hashanah morning services on Monday, September 10. After that, registration will occur before and after the following events:
- Erev Shabbat Services: Fridays, September 14, 21, 28; October 5 & 12
- Torah Study: Saturdays, September 15, 22, 29, & October 6 & 13
- Sunday Program: Sundays, September 23, 30; October 7 & 14
Beth Am will also be co-sponsoring two forums to promote civic engagement:
- Candidates Forum -- Tuesday, October 9, 7:00 – 9:00 PM, First Congregational Church, Palo Alto: Beth Am will co-sponsor, with the Palo Alto League of Women Voters, a candidates forum for the Palo Alto City Council.
- The Pros and Cons on the CA State Ballot Measures -- Sunday, October 14, 3:00 – 4:30 PM, Beit Kehillah: The League of Women Voters will present the Pros and Cons on the CA State ballot measures that will be on the November Ballot.
The League of Women Voters of Palo Alto (LWVPA) invites you to these additional opportunities to learn more about the upcoming election. Complete information is available on the LWVPA website. RSVP early to ensure you save yourself a seat!
- October 5: Pros & Cons: November 6 Ballot Measures
- October 6: Bay Day Voter Registration
- October 7: Both Sides Discuss Measure F (Palo Alto)
- October 8: CANDIDATE FORUM: County Sheriff
- October 9: Pros & Cons: November 6 Ballot Measures
- October 9: CANDIDATE FORUM: Palo Alto City Council
- October 11: Unpacking Congressional Campaigns (w/SIG)
- October 11: Pros & Cons: November 6 Ballot Measures
- October 17: 18th U.S. Congressional District
- October 20: Pros & Cons: November 6 Ballot Measures
- October 23: On the Table: Discussion on Housing Issues
Visit the LWVPA Election 2018 page to get all the information you need to vote this November!