3rd-6th Grades (required for B'nei Mitzvah)
7th Grade (optional, encouraged for students with spring/summer B'nei Mitzvah dates)
Caroline Kosaka, Director
Beginning in third grade, Jewish learning at Beth Am expands to two days a week: one Judaica program and one Hebrew program. Four years of both a Judaica and Hebrew program are required for a bar/bat mitzvah ceremony at Congregation Beth Am.
Beth Am's Hebrew Program has four main goals:
- Students will use the Hebrew language, getting a taste of spoken Hebrew that helps contextualize Jewish values, history and culture.
- By studying Modern Hebrew, students will experience Hebrew as a living language and develop a sense of connection with the State of Israel and the Jewish people. Hopefully, this learning will encourage them to pursue further Hebrew studies in high school and college and encourage travel to Israel.
- Students will become familiar with and explore the meanings of the Jewish prayers that they will encounter most often throughout their lives. They will be encouraged to ask questions about God and spirituality, and to develop a sense of how the prayers are relevant to them.
- Students will learn basic Hebrew reading skills, and they will emerge from Hebrew program ready to begin preparation for B’nei Mitzvah.
Beth Am Hebrew students attend Hebrew one day per week, in addition to their selection for Judaica. Hebrew Class, Small Group and Individual Tutoring options are all available. 3rd graders learn how to read Hebrew letters and vowels; 4th and 5th graders mix learning modern Hebrew and traditional prayers; and 6th graders focus on prayer. The optional semester in 7th grade focuses on prayer as well as following student interests, and is geared toward students whose B'nei Mitzvah fall in spring or summer of their 7th grade year or later. Hebrew Program classroom learning is fun, with an emphasis and experiential learning and meaning-making for students.
- 3rd-6th Grades, Wednesdays, 4:00 - 6:00 PM
- Includes Hebrew through Movement, pull-out tutoring, interactive t'filah (worship) and an experiential, capstone activity for each grade.
- 3rd-5th Grades will also have the option of attending Hebrew class during Second Session Sunday, 11:00 AM - 1:15 PM (lunch break 11:30 - 11:45 AM)
- Includes weekly T'filah with Sunday Program, Hebrew through Movement, pull-out tutoring and an experiential, capstone activity for each grade.
- 5th-6th Grades also have the option of First Session Sunday, 9:00 - 11:30 AM (during Sunday Program).
- Includes Hebrew through Movement, pull-out tutoring, weekly T'filah with Beit Midrash or Sunday Program and an experiential, capstone activity for 5th grade.
- 7th Grade (1st Semester Only): Encouraged for students with spring/summer B'nei Mitzvah dates), Sunday, 9:00 - 11:30 AM
- 7th Grade Hebrew Class is recommended for students who will celebrate their B'nei Mitzvah in June of their 7th grade year or later.
Individual and Small Group Hebrew Tutoring:
In Hebrew tutoring, students meet with a tutor for 22 sessions, and learn the regular Hebrew curriculum. Tutoring may be done at Beth Am or at students’ homes. The Hebrew Tutoring options are:
- Individual Tutoring: Students work one-on-one with a Beth Am tutor who is trained in our programs (and often a teacher in our programs). Sessions are 45 minutes long.
- Small Group Tutoring--For returning small groups only: Groups are made up of 2-4 returning students, and students learn from a Beth Am tutor. Sessions are one hour long. Please note this option is for students who are continuing in existing small groups. New groups are not forming at this time.
Tutoring schedules are determined directly by tutors and parents. *For students in individual and returning group tutoring, please schedule a first Hebrew tutoring date by September 26, 2019.
Note: Unfortunately, due to the high cost of providing personal tutoring, we will not be able to offer scholarships for students for individual and small group tutoring.