High Holy Days 5779 with Beth Am
"As the High Holy Days approach, we prepare for our shared time of reflection and renewal. Wherever we gather in a particular year, we create the Beth Am community — one enriched by beautiful music, the spirit and commitment of our members, our genuine care for one another. We look forward to sharing these meaningful days with all of you, and send warmest wishes for a healthy and peaceful new year."
— Rabbi Janet Marder and Beth Am President Bruce Ives
- Tickets for Members: Two name tags (your tickets) per household of members in good standing will be enclosed in the High Holy Day mailing sent in mid August. Please bring them to the service and wear them in plastic holders you can pick up at the venue. Tickets are not required for children under 21.
- We invite unaffiliated Jews of the community to share the High Holy Days with Beth Am. Order tickets using the DOWNLOADABLE TICKET ORDER FORM. Please complete and return this form and return with your check payable to Congregation Beth Am. Mail to: Congregation Beth Am, 26790 Arastradero Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022. Tickets may be purchased for:
- $300 per adult, non-member, inclusive of all services
- $125 per adult for out-of-town relatives, inclusive of all services
- $36 for young adults (ages 36 and under) through our 36 for 36 Program, which can include membership in the congregation
- Reciprocal tickets are available at no charge for members of other Reform synagogues. Contact the Beth Am office.
- Complimentary tickets are available (at no charge) for full-time students, military personnel and Beth Am teachers.
- Deadline for Mailing Tickets: Orders for tickets to be mailed must be placed no later than Thursday, August 30. Tickets ordered after Thursday, August 30 must be picked up in the Beth Am office or at the Will Call Box at Redemption Bay Area Church (formerly known as Jubilee Christian Center).
- SAME LOCATION AS LAST YEAR but with a new name -- Redemption Bay Area Church, located at 105 Nortech Parkway, San Jose, CA 95134, approximately 25 minutes by car from Beth Am. PLEASE NOTE: PARKING IS AMPLE AND EASY AND PARKING PASSES ARE NOT REQUIRED THIS YEAR. Download: Map & Driving Instructions
- Wheelchair Assistance: Wheelchair service will be available for those needing extra assistance. No reservations required.
- Live video streaming will be available this year for those who are not able to attend the services in person. To access during service times, please visit: www.betham.org/streaming
Please make note of sign up deadlines and locations below:
- PURCHASE YOUR NEW PRAYER BOOKS: Our wonderful High Holy Day prayer book, Mishkan HaNefesh, A Machzor for the Days of Awe is available for purchase! Get yours before the High Holy Days at Congregation Beth Am for $40 per two-volume set (while supplies last), from www.amazon.com or from www.CCARPress.org. Please note that Beth Am has only a limited supply to loan. Thank you for purchasing and bringing your own set.
- SPECIAL SEATING (disability-related): Contact the Beth Am office.
- BOOK OF MEMORY: The deadline for submission of listings is Friday, August 17. The Book of Memory will become available on Yom Kippur Day, Wednesday, September 19 at Redemption.
- YOUTH PROGRAMS SIGN-UP for Preschoolers through 5th Grade: Register online by Thursday, August 30. Walk-in registrations accepted as space permits. The fee is $25 per child.
- S'LICHOT SERVICE with a screening of Brad’s Status: Saturday, September 1, 7:30 PM, Social Hall & Sanctuary
- ROSH HASHANAH SERVICES, Redemption:
- Erev Rosh Hashanah Service: Sunday, September 9, 8:00 PM
- Morning Service: Monday, September 10, 10:00 AM
- FOR FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN (NO tickets required):
Family Rosh Hashanah Celebration with Jewish Baby Network (co-sponsored by Beth Am): Sunday, September 9, 10:30 AM to Noon, Juana Briones Park, Palo Alto
Rosh Hashanah: Monday, September 10, 1:30 PM, Redemption
Yom Kippur: Wednesday, September 19, 1:30 PM, Redemption
- TEEN PROGRAMS: For 6th-12th graders
Rosh Hashanah: Monday, September 10, 10:00 AM, Redemption
Yom Kippur: Wednesday, September 19, 10:00 AM, Redemption
- TASHLIKH: Monday, September 10, 4:00 PM, Baylands Sailing Station (download map)
- SHABBAT SHUVAH SERVICE:
Friday, September 14, 6:15 PM, Beth Am Sanctuary & Outdoor Chapel
Join us in the Sanctuary for our Shabbat Shuvah service. At the conclusion of the service we will proceed to the Outdoor Chapel to dedicate the memorial plaques that have been added to the wall since our 2017 Shabbat Shuvah service.
- HIGH HOLY DAY FOOD DRIVE:
Bag distribution on Rosh Hashanah: Monday, September 10, Redemption
Food collection on Yom Kippur: Wednesday, September 19, Redemption
Our food collection drive benefits the East Palo Alto Ecumenical Hunger Program (EHP) and Jewish Family and Children's Services (JFCS).
Wednesday, September 19, Redemption
- Morning Service at 10:00 AM
- YOM KIPPUR AFTERNOON STUDY SESSIONS beginning at 1:30 PM
- Music & Meditation at 2:30 PM
- Afternoon Service at 3:30 PM
- The Yizkor and N'eilah (Concluding) service begins at 4:45 PM (approx.) and ends at 6:45 PM (approx.)
Family Sukkot Celebration with Jewish Baby Network (sponsored by Beth Am): Sunday, September 23, 3:30 to 5:00 PM, PJCC, 800 Foster City Blvd, Foster City
Sukkot for Families with Young Children: Saturday, September 29, 9:15 AM, Beth Am Sukkah
S'mores in the Sukkah -- Two Events for BAJY (6th-8th graders) & BATY (9th-12th graders): Saturday, September 29, BAJY@3:00 PM; BATY@6:00 PM (including Havdalah), Beth Am Sukkah
- SHEMINI ATZERET: Festival Yizkor Service & Brunch
Monday, October 1, 9:30 AM, Beth Am Beit Kehillah