High Holy Days 5778 with Beth Am
"As the High Holy Days approach, we prepare for our shared time of reflection and renewal. Wherever we gather in a particular year, we create the Beth Am community — one enriched by beautiful music, the spirit and commitment of our members, our genuine care for one another. We look forward to sharing these meaningful days with all of you, and send warmest wishes for a healthy and peaceful new year."
— Rabbi Janet Marder and Beth Am President Bruce Ives
- Tickets for Members: Two name tags (your tickets) per household were enclosed with the High Holy Day mailing. Please bring them to the service and wear them in the enclosed plastic holders. Tickets are not required for children under 21.
- We invite unaffiliated Jews of the community to share the High Holy Days with Beth Am. Order tickets using the DOWNLOADABLE TICKET ORDER FORM. Please complete and return this form and return with your check payable to Congregation Beth Am. Mail to: Congregation Beth Am, 26790 Arastradero Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022. Tickets may be purchased for:
- $300 per adult, non-member, inclusive of all services
- $125 per adult for out-of-town relatives, inclusive of all services
- $36 for young adults (ages 36 and under) through our 36 for 36 Program, which can include membership in the congregation
- $36 per adult for first-time young families attending through the Kesher outreach promotion. (Learn more about Kesher.)
- Reciprocal tickets are available at no charge for members of other Reform synagogues. Contact the Beth Am office.
- Complimentary tickets are available (at no charge) for full-time students, military personnel and Beth Am teachers.
- Deadline for Mailing Tickets: The deadline to have tickets mailed has now passed. Tickets ordered after Thursday, September 7 must be picked up in the Beth Am office or at the Will Call Box at Jubilee.
- Jubilee Christian Center, located at 105 Nortech Parkway, San Jose, CA 95134, approximately 25 minutes by car from Beth Am. PLEASE NOTE: PARKING IS AMPLE AND EASY AND PARKING PASSES ARE NOT REQUIRED THIS YEAR. Download: Map & Driving Instructions
- Wheelchair Assistance: Wheelchair service will be available for those needing extra assistance. No reservations required.
- Live video streaming will be available this year for those who are not able to attend the services in person. To access during service times, please visit: www.betham.org/streaming
- NEW! Evening shuttle bus service will be offered between Los Altos and the Jubilee Christian Center for evening services. Space is limited, so please sign up soon.
- NEW! Alternate Location: This year we will offer an alternate location in Menlo Park at which Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services will be streamed. This option is now full.
Please make note of sign up deadlines and locations below:
- PURCHASE YOUR NEW PRAYERBOOKS: Our wonderful High Holy Day prayerbook, Mishkan HaNefesh, A Machzor for the Days of Awe is available for purchase! Get yours before the High Holy Days at Congregation Beth Am for $40 per two-volume set (while supplies last), from www.amazon.com or from www.CCARPress.org. Please note that Beth Am has only a limited supply to loan. Thank you for purchasing and bringing your own set.
- SPECIAL SEATING (disability-related): Contact the Beth Am office.
- BOOK OF MEMORY: The deadline for submission of listings has now passed. The Book of Memory will become available on Yom Kippur Day, Saturday, September 30 at Jubilee.
- YOUTH PROGRAMS SIGN-UP for Preschoolers (ages 2-4 years) through 5th Grade: Online registration has now closed. Walk-in registrations accepted as space permits. The fee is $25 per child.
- S'LICHOT SERVICE with guest speaker Dr. Louis Newman: Saturday, September 16, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
- ROSH HASHANAH SERVICES, Jubilee:
- Erev Rosh Hashanah Service: Wednesday, September 20, 8:00 PM
- Morning Service: Thursday, September 21, 10:00 AM
- FOR FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN (NO tickets required):
Family Rosh Hashanah Celebration with Jewish Baby Network (sponsored by Beth Am): Sunday, September 17, 10:30 AM, Briones Park, Palo Alto
Rosh Hashanah: Thursday, September 21, 1:45 PM, Jubilee
Yom Kippur: Saturday, September 30, 1:45 PM, Jubilee
Family Sukkot Celebration with Jewish Baby Network (sponsored by Beth Am): Sunday, October 8, 5:00 to 7:00 PM, PJCC
- TEEN PROGRAMS: For 6th-12th graders
Rosh Hashanah: Thursday, September 21, 10:00 AM, Jubilee
Yom Kippur: Saturday, September 30, 10:00 AM, Jubilee
- TASHLIKH: Thursday, September 21, 4:00 PM, Baylands Sailing Station (download map)
- SHABBAT SHUVAH SERVICE:
Friday, September 22, 6:15 PM, Beth Am Sanctuary & Outdoor Chapel
Join us in the Sanctuary for our Shabbat Shuvah service. At the conclusion of the service we will proceed to the Outdoor Chapel to dedicate the memorial plaques that have been added to the wall since our 2016 Shabbat Shuvah service.
- HIGH HOLY DAY FOOD DRIVE:
Bag distribution on Rosh Hashanah: Thursday, September 21, Jubilee
Food collection on Yom Kippur: Saturday, September 30, Jubilee
Our food collection drive benefits the East Palo Alto Ecumenical Hunger Program (EHP) and Jewish Family and Children's Services (JFCS).
Saturday, September 30, Jubilee
- Morning Service at 10:00 AM
- YOM KIPPUR AFTERNOON STUDY SESSIONS beginning at 1:30 PM
- Music & Meditation at 3:00 PM
- Afternoon Service at 3:30 PM
- The Yizkor and N'eilah (Concluding) service beginning at 4:45 PM (approx.) and end at 6:45 PM (approx.)
- FAMILY SUKKOT FESTIVAL:
Wednesday, October 4, 4:00 PM Sukkah Building; 5:00 PM Decorating & Celebration, Beth Am Social Hall Patio
- TOT SHABBAT SUKKOT CELEBRATION:
Saturday, October 7, 9:15 AM, Beth Am Sukkah
- SIMCHAT TORAH CELEBRATION:
Wednesday, October 11, 5:00-7:00 PM, Beth Am Sanctuary
- SHEMINI ATZERET: Festival Yizkor Service & Brunch
Thursday, October 12, 9:30 AM, Beth Am Beit Kehillah